Shinsegae heir cashes in shares to fund gift tax bill Chung Yong-jin secures $195 mil by selling his stake in Gwangju Shinsegae
이 기사는 2021년 09월 17일 08:09 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.South Korea’s Shinsegae Group is likely to see changes in its ownership structure as the heirs of the retail conglomerate dispose some of their shares to finance gift tax payments.
Shinsegae Inc bought a 52.08% stake in Gwangju Shinsegae for 228.5 billion won ($194.8 million), or 274,200 won per share, from Shinsegae Group vice chairman Chung Yong-jin, the company said in a regulatory filing on Tuesday.
The price represents a 20% control premium to the closing price on that day. After the purchase, Shinsegae Inc’s stake in Gwangju Shinsegae increased to 62.5%.
Chung Yong-jin will use the sale proceeds to pay a gift tax, Shinsegae Group said. He was gifted an 8.22% stake in Emart by his mother and Shinsegae Group chairman Lee Myung-hee last year, which resulted in a gift tax bill of around 190 billion won.
The sale fetched the money that matches the tax bill and is also expected to boost Chung’s cash flow, especially given that the tax will be paid in six installments over the five-year period.
His stake sale has prompted speculation that his sister, Shinsegae Department Store president Chung Yoo-kyung, may also want to dispose her shares in Shinsegae International to cover a gift tax liability.
Chung Yoo-kyung currently owes a 100 billion won gift tax bill, which needs to be paid over the five-year period. She owns a 15.14% stake in Shinsegae International, after selling a 5.87% stake in the fashion company in 2019 to pay a gift tax triggered by shares that were given by her father in 2018.
The 15.14% stake is roughly estimated to be valued at 260 billion won given Tuesday’s closing price of 200,000 won per share and a possible premium of 20%. A potential sale by Chung Yoo-kyung to Shinsegae Inc would raise its stake in Shinsegae International to some 54% from 38.91%.
The key is whether Shinsegae Inc has sufficient cash reserves to buy additional shares in Shinsegae International. At the end of June this year, the company had cash and cash equivalents of 224 billion won on a non-consolidated basis, most of which is likely to have been used to pay for shares purchased from Chung Yong-jin.
There is an option for Chung Yoo-kyung to raise money by selling her shares to external investors, although the likelihood is low. She may also pledge her shares as collateral to take out a loan.
One thing clear is that with Gwangju Shinsegae becoming a subsidiary of Shinsaegae Inc after the latest transaction, it has become evident that Chung Yong-jin leads Emart and Chung Yoo-kyung focuses on Shinsegae Department Store within the group.
“(Chung Yong-jin’s sale of shares in Gwangju Shinsegae) was to raise funds to pay his gift tax and to simplify the group’s governance structure,” an official at Shinsegae Group said. “We know nothing about how president Chung Yoo-kyung will raise money to fund a gift tax bill.” (Reporting by Hyo-jeom Jun)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- [교보생명 FI 갈등]어피너티 컨소 "풋옵션 가치 산정하라" 가처분 신청
- 에디슨 컨소 "쌍용차 인수위해 1.6조 자금 마련"
- 두나무, 우리금융 인수전 참여 배경은
- [CFO 워치/지니뮤직]최호창 부사장, "내년 말 시총 8000억" KT 밸류업 첨병된다
- 네이버, '역대급' 현금창출력에 주주환원 여력 확대
- 삼성전자, 갤럭시 언팩 MZ공략 마케팅 돋보인 이유
- [캐시플로 모니터]현금부자 선데이토즈, 2년만에 보따리 풀었다
- '현금부자' 클래시스, 공고한 지배력 유지 비결
- [미국 가는 삼성SDI]스텔란티스 합작법인에 최소 2조 이상 투자
- '다크호스' 메테우스운용 "리츠로 존재감 각인시키겠다"
Translated by Ryu Ho-joung 의 다른 기사 보기
- Mid-sized PE firms eye more capital raising as year-end approaches
- Audio streaming platform Spoon seeks to raise $128 mil in pre-IPO round
- What Hyundai Capital's leadership overhaul means for auto conglomerate
- Doosan E&C returns to debt market as financial position improves
- Bespin Global seeks to raise $85 mil in new funding
- Teachers’ Pension on track for double-digit return on alternative investments this year
- Lawyers refute witness’s testimony in trial over Kyobo’s dispute with investors
- US developer Hines seeks to expand South Korean presence
- KIC’s alternative assets allocation reduced for two straight years
- Homeplus to see $168 cash inflow after MBK’s victory over Tesco
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내