Hyundai Oilbank to file for listing, joining IPO parade next year Korean refiner will file for IPO in December with target of listing in first half of 2022
이 기사는 2021년 11월 26일 08:19 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.Hyundai Oilbank, the refinery unit of South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries Group, plans to file for an initial public offering in December, with a target of listing in the first half of 2022, as it seeks to embrace eco-friendly hydrogen energy business and its financial performance has rebounded this year.
The move would come four months after the refiner named KB Securities, NH Investment & Securities and Credit Suisse as its lead underwriters for the planned IPO in August.
Hyundai Oilbank is expected to get the green light from the Korea Exchange as soon as February next year given that it normally takes two months, or 45 business days, for review.
This means the refiner will join a crowded IPO pipeline in the first half of 2022, with candidates including battery maker LG Energy Solution, SM Line, Hyundai Engineering and car-sharing unicorn startup SoCar.
The refinery business is the company’s mainstay, contributing nearly 85% to its total revenue. Hyundai Oilbank holds a roughly 20.9% share in the domestic light oil market. Comparable companies include SK Innovation, S-Oil and GS Caltex.
Reliance on fossil fuels has been cited as one of the factors that could limit Hyundai Oilbank’s future growth as the transition to zero carbon accelerates, prompting the company to expand into new business areas.
In March this year, Hyundai Oilbank announced a plan to reduce its revenue reliance on the refining business to 45% by 2030 and instead expand profits from future growth drivers, including low-carbon blue hydrogen, white biotechnology and eco-friendly chemical materials. Hyundai Oilbank is the only refiner in the country to have such a transition plan.
It will be difficult for Hyundai Oilbank to make visible progress by the first half of next year. But its equity story, focused on growth in hydrogen energy, could help to increase its growth prospects.
Hyundai Oilbank will set up the infrastructure to capture and utilize carbon dioxide emitted during hydrogen generation processes. It also plans to develop fuel cell separators for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and roll out products in 2023.
In April this year, Hyundai Oilbank teamed up with hydrogen supplier Air Products to work together to produce hydrogen from crude oil byproducts and natural gas. It also announced a partnership with Korea South-East Power in May to enter the hydrogen power generation market.
Hyundai Oilbank first attempted to go public in 2012 but failed due to a slump in oil prices. Another IPO attempt was also pulled due to accounting issues in 2017.
In 2019 Hyundai Heavy Industries Holdings, the refiner’s parent company, sold a partial stake in Hyundai Oilbank to Saudi’s Aramco in a deal that valued the company at roughly 8.09 trillion won. Given this latest valuation, Hyundai Oilbank will be seeking a valuation above 10 trillion won in the IPO, industry watchers said.
Hyundai Oilbank recorded revenue of 13.7 trillion won in 2020, down by 35.2% from 21.1 trillion won a year ago. It also swung to an operating loss of 593.3 billion won from a 522 billion won operating profit in the same period. However, its financial results have rebounded this year, with revenue and operating profit rising to 14.7 billion won and 851.6 billion won, respectively, in the first three quarters of 2021. (Reporting by Chan-mi Oh)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- LGES, IPO밸류 최대 '70조'…시장친화적 몸값
- 지엘팜텍 지배력 높인 이상파트너스, 밸류업 박차
- "대안주거 154.8만호, 수도권 전세가 안정 기여"
- [VC 팔로우온 투자파일]ES인베스터, 'AI 뇌진단' 뉴로핏 성장 견인
- 코오롱생명과학 영구CB 전량, 유동화 시장서 소화
- ESG 투자 증가 GS, 내년에도 조단위 발행 이어간다
- 코레이트운용, 대체투자 관련 ESG펀드 '잰걸음'
- 삼성그룹, 증권·바이오만 보였다…주요 이슈어 발행 '뚝'
- 한화토탈, 등급전망 '안정적' 회복…배당 확대 우려는 여전
- VIG파트너스, 첫 크레딧펀드 조성 완료
Translated by Ryu Ho-joung 의 다른 기사 보기
- LG Electronics to take entire stake in LG Ads by 2026
- IMM PE eyes over $2 bil for new flagship fund
- Macquarie completes acquisition of Korea’s biggest hydrogen supplier
- Ten investment banks pitch for roles in Kakao Mobility IPO
- SK Ecoplant enhances team in charge of planned IPO with new executive
- Court expedites main case against Namyang Dairy chairman
- Macquarie, MBK Partners likely to pull out of bidding race for TmaxSoft
- Weak share performance of peers may weigh on Lunit’s IPO plan
- Kyobo Life chairman opts not to testify in case against investor group
- US class action suit filed against Korean financial firms linked to DLI
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내