Kakao Entertainment’s buying spree ends as regulatory scrutiny intensifies Kakao’s entertainment arm currently has 37 subsidiaries
이 기사는 2021년 09월 17일 08:09 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.Kakao Entertainment, the entertainment arm of South Korea’s platform giant Kakao Corp, will have to alter its inorganic growth strategy as regulatory scrutiny on online platform businesses intensifies.
Mergers and acquisitions have been Kakao Entertainment’s key growth driver. Kakao in 2015 acquired mobile content service Podotree, which was renamed Kakao Page, and following year took over Loen Entertainment, later known as Kakao M. Kakao Entertainment was launched in March this year after the merger of these two companies.
The company’s acquisition spree has continued this year. Kakao Page, the webtoon and web novel unit, has focused on deals to buy businesses that create original content, while Kakao M has purchased a slew of drama studios and agencies for actors to expand into the media content business.
The number of Kakao Entertainment’s subsidiaries has increased to 37 from 31 at the end of June, with six more companies added to its subsidiary list in the past three months only. The number also represents nearly a quarter of 158 affiliates under the broader Kakao Group.
Kakao Entertainment’s expansion through mergers and acquisitions has been supported by the group’s overall culture that emphasizes independent management of each unit. Becoming part of Kakao Group was also an attractive option for smaller entertainment companies that have growth potential but lack a concrete roadmap for growth.
The company has rarely been targeted by Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC), the country’s antitrust authorities, despite its growing subsidiary list because the domestic entertainment market is fairly fragmented.
However, things could change in the future as KFTC plans to strengthen its rules on combination deals involving online platform businesses, a move apparently targeting Kakao Group.
Now is the time for Kakao Entertainment to shift away from its acquisition-focused growth strategy, industry experts said. With plenty of resources, the company is likely to shift its focus to enhancing user experience on its platform and monetizing content across the value chain encompassing digital comics, drama productions and internet media.
Kakao Entertainment is also expected to turn its eyes to overseas markets. It completed the acquisitions of US storytelling apps Radish and Tapas in July this year. The company may explore possible acquisitions of foreign production studios to expand its global presence and create synergies with existing businesses.
“It is true that we have a large number of subsidiaries, but the acquisitions were to strengthen our competitiveness, not to dominate the market,” an official at Kakao Entertainment said. “Discussions are underway internally to shift our focus to global expansion in accordance with the change in the group’s growth strategy.” (Reporting by Pil-woo Choi)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- [교보생명 FI 갈등]어피너티 컨소 "풋옵션 가치 산정하라" 가처분 신청
- 에디슨 컨소 "쌍용차 인수위해 1.6조 자금 마련"
- 두나무, 우리금융 인수전 참여 배경은
- [CFO 워치/지니뮤직]최호창 부사장, "내년 말 시총 8000억" KT 밸류업 첨병된다
- 네이버, '역대급' 현금창출력에 주주환원 여력 확대
- 삼성전자, 갤럭시 언팩 MZ공략 마케팅 돋보인 이유
- [캐시플로 모니터]현금부자 선데이토즈, 2년만에 보따리 풀었다
- '현금부자' 클래시스, 공고한 지배력 유지 비결
- [미국 가는 삼성SDI]스텔란티스 합작법인에 최소 2조 이상 투자
- '다크호스' 메테우스운용 "리츠로 존재감 각인시키겠다"
Translated by Ryu Ho-joung 의 다른 기사 보기
- Mid-sized PE firms eye more capital raising as year-end approaches
- Audio streaming platform Spoon seeks to raise $128 mil in pre-IPO round
- What Hyundai Capital's leadership overhaul means for auto conglomerate
- Doosan E&C returns to debt market as financial position improves
- Bespin Global seeks to raise $85 mil in new funding
- Teachers’ Pension on track for double-digit return on alternative investments this year
- Lawyers refute witness’s testimony in trial over Kyobo’s dispute with investors
- US developer Hines seeks to expand South Korean presence
- KIC’s alternative assets allocation reduced for two straight years
- Homeplus to see $168 cash inflow after MBK’s victory over Tesco
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내