Possible sale of HMM attracts strong attention Shipping company’s international routes and large capacity appeal to industry players
이 기사는 2021년 06월 22일 08:16 더벨 유료페이지에 표출된 기사입니다.A possible sale of HMM, in which the largest shareholder is Korea Development Bank (KDB), is attracting strong attention from industry players seeking to benefit from the booming shipping industry, as the state-controlled lender explores options for the shipping company.
Several potential buyers interested in acquiring a controlling stake in HMM have embarked on studying the company, industry sources said. Some of them, including large industry players, openly expressed their interest in the shipping company.
The sale process, if launched by KDB, will likely attract strong interest from potential buyers, industry watchers said, as HMM’s restructuring is almost complete and the shipping industry has entered the upward cycle.
HMM has a solid market position as the only South Korean shipping company that operates abroad. Potential buyers are said to want KDB to begin the sale process soon, hoping to maximize synergies by completing the combination of the target with existing operations before the shipping boom peaks.
“The shipping boom, which began late last year, is not like anything seen before,” said an industry insider. “The mood in the industry is great and much more upbeat compared with a temporary recovery in 2010.”
The country’s shipping industry has gone through consolidation since 2016 when Hanjin Shipping went bankrupt, leaving only a few shipping companies as candidates for sale. This is also a factor that increases the attractiveness of HMM.
HMM’s enterprise value could increase further once the restructuring process completes, some analysts said. With support from the government, the company ordered 20 new ships in 2017. If they are fully delivered by 2022, HMM’s fleet capacity will exceed one million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU).
Many of the new ships ordered by HMM are big ones, including twelve 23,000 TEU ships and eight 15,000 TEU ships. The price of ships with such large capacity has sharply increased recently, with container freight rates soaring due to high demand for cargoes.
HMM’s existing fleet also consist of relatively high-quality ships, as many of the old ships were sold off during the restructuring process. Most of the ships currently owned by the company are equipped with exhaust gas cleaning systems, also known as scrubbers, complying with rules adopted by the International Maritime Organization. (Reporting by Seul-bong Go)
최신뉴스 in 전체기사
- 에이피알, 직원 늘리니 매출폭등…대규모 채용 '기대'
- [저축은행 코로나19 명암]JT저축은행, 성장에 가려진 '건전성·자본비율'
- 스튜어드십코드는 '이미지'가 아니다
- [운용사-신기술조합 CoGP 시대]'반토막' 운용보수 불구 소싱 네트워크 유지 '절실'
- 드림텍, 바이오센서 해외진출 박차…의료기기 매출 기대감↑
- 브레인즈컴퍼니, 강선근 대표만 구주매출
- 모트렉스, 100억 'ESG채권' 발행 "중견기업 최초"
- 산은 지원 중견기업 녹색채권, 왜 인증의견만 받았나
- [지배구조 분석/LT그룹]10년전 삼보이엔씨 IPO 철회가 '신의 한수'
- 대우조선해양건설, 창원 신촌2구역 아파트 재건축 '첫 수주'
Translated by Ryu Ho-joung 의 다른 기사 보기
- IMM Investment to invest $35 mil in outdoor gear maker Helinox
- Samsung Life Insurance to launch online sales in China
- Posco International’s Myanmar gas business sees sharp profit drop
- Kakao Entertainment raises $529 mil in commercial paper issues
- Investment and finance experts join Kurly ahead of planned IPO
- Naver uses $400mil treasury shares for staff compensation and share swaps
- Tmon delays IPO after its chief executive change
- Hoban Construction in talks to buy Doosan Machine Tools
- Hyundai Oilbank’s IPO plan faces bumpy road
- Self-driving startup 42dot launches new funding round
더벨 서비스 문의
02-724-4102유료 서비스 안내